147 video games entered the ring, but only eight of those were guaranteed to make it onto the 2016 Geek-A-Long blanket! Normally Megan-Anne and I bicker amongst ourselves to pair our list down to 48 fandoms, but this year we let you have a say. Members of our Ravelry group spent two weeks nominating and voting for their favorites, and now its time for the results!
- Tetris was nominated by bourbongirl and received 50 votes.
- Mario Kart was nominated by Kdowny and received 35 votes.
- Oregon Trail was nominated by Finie7 and received 35 votes.
- Classic Mario Bros was nominated by bourbongirl and received 34 votes.
- Portal was nominated by bourbongirl and received 31 votes.
- World of Warcraft was nominated by stacy78 and received 28 votes.
- The Sims were nominated by Skeeling and received 27 votes.
- Donkey Kong was nominated by nuttyknitter and received 27 votes.
- Duck Hunt was nominated by RobinWknits and received 25 votes.
- Kingdom Hearts was nominated by rin-tastic and received 24 votes.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was nominated by nickyscreations and received 24 votes.
- Where in Time is Carmen San Diego was nominated by KnitWit9410 and received 24 votes.
- Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was nominated by haleshmale and received 24 votes.
- Plants Vs Zombies was nominated by fromthehightower1 and received 24 votes.
I had a blast refereeing Fight For Your Fandom 2016. There were a couple video games I had completely forgotten about and felt like such an idiot for not remembering. I won’t tell you which games those were, but one of them made it onto the Leaderboard. Luckily, and with only a couple of exceptions, people voted for squares Megan-Anne and I had already picked so there was room for them in the eight slots we had reserved.
So the real question is, are you ready to start knitting the 2016 Geek-A-Long blanket in less than seven days? Are you waiting to purchase your first skeins of Gems worsted yarn or did you get excited about Louet donating 50 cents to Child’s Play Charity every time you buy a skein for the GAL and already placed an order at your local yarn store? Either way, you’ll be excited to know that the 2016 blanket corresponds with the 2014 gauge. So if there were a few video games we already covered that you need on your blanket (like the Triforce, Aperture Science, Pac-Man, Atari, or Pong), you can start knitting those now!