Welcome to the Geek-A-Long, a mystery blanket knit-along! Want to knit (or crochet!) a geek themed blanket with us this year? You can find all the information you’ll need here. Click on the emboldened header to jump down to that batch of the answered questions or you can go old school and scroll down.
- How exactly does this whole Geek-A-Long (GAL) thing work?
- When does the Geek-A-Long begin and when will you post the next part of the pattern?
- Where can I find a post map of all the released GAL squares?
- Is the Geek-A-Long free? Or is this a trick?
- Will [insert fandom here] be represented on the blanket?
- Can I please have all of the color charts now? I’ll pay you.
- How do you design the patterns for the squares?
- Why aren’t all of the squares fully reversible?
- Do I have to use Cascade 220?
- How much yarn do I need?
- Why did you choose these colors? I don’t like them.
- I just discovered the Geek-A-Long and want to participate, but can’t possibly catch up in time. What should I do?
- A square a week sounds like a really big commitment. What if I want to participate, but don’t have the time to make 48 squares?
- I don’t know how to do double-sided knitting and I don’t want to learn. Can I still participate?
- I want to learn double-sided knitting and start making squares. Do you have a tutorial?
- I would prefer to crochet the blanket. Can I still participate?
- What is a knit-along or KAL?
- Do I have to donate my blanket?
- Is there a Geek-A-Long group on Ravelry?
- I want prizes!
- How can my company become a Geek-A-Long Benefactor?
- I’m on Team Geek-A-Long. Where can I get the t-shirt to prove it?
- Ummm… I have a question you didn’t answer.
1. How exactly does this whole Geek-A-Long (GAL) thing work?
Each week we’ll post a free pattern for a 10″ x 10″ geek-themed double-knit square using Cascade 220 and size 6 needles. After 48 squares/weeks, we’ll post how to put it together and edge the blanket. There will also be directions on how to assemble two smaller sized blankets, an afghan (24 squares) and a baby blanket (12 squares), if you don’t want to knit the full sized version.
2. When does the Geek-A-Long begin and when will you post the next part of the pattern?
The Geek-A-Long begins the first Sunday of the new year and a new segment of the blanket will be posted each subsequent Sunday morning until the year is over.
3. Where can I find a post map of all the released GAL squares?
If you click “Geek-A-Long” in the Categories section on the sidebar, it will pull up every post we’ve made on the topic. Or you can click here to view a post map of all the released squares.
4. Is the Geek-A-Long free? Or is this a trick?
This is not a trick. Geek-A-Long is free all year long. We only ask that you please consider making a donation to Child’s Play Charity. We swear to you, we will not suddenly start charging you in July or something douchey like that.
5. Will [insert fandom here] be represented on the blanket?
If you are a member of the Geek-A-Long Ravelry group, each week we post a teaser of the upcoming square for members to guess which geekiness is in store for them. While we do let them know when someone guesses correctly, that is the closest we get to handing out spoilers. The GAL is a MYSTERY blanket knit-along. However, I will say that we are known to drop occasional hints in our blog posts.
6. Can I please have all of the color charts now? I’ll pay you.
Even if this were not a mystery knit-along, we currently do not own any of the licences and cannot sell the patterns.
7. How do you design the patterns for the squares?
After Megan-Anne and Jac decided on the theme of the square and sketched out ideas, they used Intwined Pattern Studio to generate the actual color charts.
8. Why aren’t all of the squares fully reversible?
We discussed making the GAL blanket fully reversible, but ultimately decided against it. Since this is for charity, we wanted to make the project to be as accessible as possible to new knitters and crocheters. The reversible DK charts are not friendly to anyone except for extreme double knitters. However, it is worth noting that if these patterns had been paid instead of free, we would have provided both charts from the beginning.
1. Do I have to use Cascade 220?
No. We love Cascade’s wide color selection, good hand, and minimal piling, but you’re welcome to use your preferred worsted weight yarn. Please check your gauge.
2. How much yarn do I need?
This will depend on your tension, yarn choice, and needles. Megan-Anne went through about 75 yards per color per square. We recommend you check your gauge (USING DOUBLE-SIDED KNITTING and not just flat stitches) and see how much yardage you’re using. Here is a handy math equation for you: Total yards used of TWO colors for one finished square multiplied by the number of squares (48 for complete blanket, 24 for afghan, 12 for baby blanket) equals the total amount of yardage you will need. For Megan-Anne, that was roughly 7,200 yards.
3. Why did you choose these colors? I don’t like them.
Before Cascade Yarn generously donated yarn towards the completion of this project, we are using up an embarrassing large stock of Cascade 220. So not all of our choices are/will be conventional. You are more than welcome to make different color choices.
1. I just discovered the Geek-A-Long and want to participate, but can’t possibly catch up in time. What should I do?
Don’t panic. At the end of the year when we post how to assemble the blanket, we will also share how to create an afghan and a baby sized blanket using a smaller number of the squares. Coming in at the middle of the game gives you the unique opportunity to pick and choose which squares you will make. Or, you can form a knitting group and con them into making the missed ones for you!
We’d also like to note that the we have no plans to remove the pattern for the 2014 GAL blanket from our website. So, you could theoretically start this blanket whenever you want! We plan on being around for a long time. :D
2. A square a week sounds like a really big commitment. What if I want to participate, but don’t have the time to make all 48 squares?
That’s okay! At the end of the year, we will share instructions on how to make the blanket (48 squares), an afghan (24 squares), and a baby blanket (12 squares). You can participate as little or as much as you want.
3. I don’t know how to do double-sided knitting and I don’t want to learn. Can I still participate?
Yes! Feel free to make two separate squares and sew them together. Or, you can make one square and have a “wrong side” to your blanket. Whatevs. If you want to learn, however, we have a handy how-to video that demystifies double-sided knitting.
5. I would prefer to crochet the blanket. Can I still participate?
Absolutely! Participate in whatever way makes you happy.
1. What is a knit-along or KAL?
Many define a KAL as an event where people get together to knit for a common purpose. Our purpose is to knit a badass geeky blanket together for charity.
2. Do I have to donate my blanket?
Absolutely not! Keep it for yourself or give it to a loved one. However, we do ask that you refrain from selling it unless 100% of the profit goes to charity. We don’t own any of the licenses and neither do you. If you use our color charts for other projects, please give Lattes and Llamas credit.
4. I want prizes!
Good, because we like giving things away! At the end of the year, we have a special raffle for the members of our GAL Ravelry Group and more details are available there.
5. How can my company become a Geek-A-Long Benefactor?
Please use the contact form below to tell us more about your company and what you would like to contribute to the Geek-A-Long family. If you would like to donate a specific product, please be aware that you must send at least four of that item.
6. I’m on Team Geek-A-Long. Where can I get the t-shirt to prove it?
We have Team Geek-A-Long t-shirts, hoodies, project binders, etc in our Zazzle store. You can find it here.
7. Umm… I have a question you didn’t answer.
Sorry! Please fill out the contact form below, so we can add it to the FAQ.