There are three things in life that are better than new yarn. The top two are triple-grande cinnamon dolce lattes and free yarn. So when Blue Sky Alpacas asked us to participate in a blog tour for their new EXTRA Yarn, I jumped at the chance.
They sent us a delightful box containing a hank of Extra Yarn in “Lei”, the Sweet Sixteen Hat knitting pattern from their new Destination Collection, and a Pretty Cheep Project Bag. And of course, an identical set for one of our lucky readers. ;)
But before I tell you how scrumptious this yarn is — and seriously, it’s so yummy Megan-Anne joked about putting whipped cream on it and serve it for brunch — let me tell you a little bit about the Destination Collection.
Blue Sky Alpacas gathered six top-notch designers from around the world to put together their versatile new collection. The line is a self-proclaimed journey through yarn and needles, specially created for the new Extra Yarn. The designers drew their inspiration from locations that were meaningful to them, and every piece requires just one or two skeins to complete it. Megan-Anne and I checked out all the patterns before deciding to make the Sweet Sixteen hat. It’s fun, and funky, and as American as apple pie. And I always go for pie.
The Sweet Sixteen Hat pattern by Elizabeth Mautz-Redmann takes its inspiration from a blend of “all-american swagger with the sweetness of the girl next door.” In that spirit, I felt like there was no better recipient for the hat than our little sister Alena.
She was really excited when we told her it was for her. But she’s met us, so she was also ever so slightly suspicious of free hats. But guys, Laner-Pooh is about as girl-next-door as it gets, and she doesn’t need to know that this hat only took about 4-5 hours to make. Let’s all let her believe Megan-Anne toiled over it for days.
The yarn is amazingly soft and squishy. I mean, like, really squishy. I’m considering filling a wading pool with it declaring that “my nest.” I can’t wait to get my hands on more of it to design some fluffy mittens.
A luxe mix of baby alpaca and fine Merino wool, Extra comes in generously sized hanks and a rich color palette, making it ideal for one and two skein projects. Light and lofty with a springy twist, it’s a versatile Aran weight that lends itself beautifully to a variety of knitting tensions and needle sizes.
Working with Extra yarn was a real treat for Megan-Anne. She talked through several episodes of Supernatural about the yarn, and was constantly making me “squish these cables.” The hat knit up in two short sittings and has just the right amount of slouch. It went from this:
All in about five hours. The twisted rib and short rows kept it interesting while the bulky yarn made it fast. Here at Lattes and Llamas, we’re huge fans of one-skein projects. Megan-Ann wound up having enough of that single skein left that she might make some matching hand-warmers next week.
I could go on and on about Extra yarn, but I think I’ve kept you waiting on this giveaway long enough. When you’re done entering the giveaway, check out Blue Sky’s nifty Extra video. It’s ever so slightly more eloquent than I am.
Would you like to receive a package in the mail that looks eerily similar to the one pictured below? Well, here is your chance!
- The Sweet Sixteen Hat pattern by Elizabeth Mautz-Redmann
- One wonderful skein of Blue Sky Alpacas Extra Yarn in the Lei colorway
- An adorable Pretty Cheep Project Bag
- The giveaway is open to all of our readers currently residing on planet Earth. We’re not shipping to Mars, so don’t ask. Sorry, interplanetary readers!
- Giveaway is open until Sunday, October 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM EST.
- All comments must include a valid email address or Ravelry ID, so that we can contact you if you are the winner.
- Winner will be chosen via random number generator and will be contacted within 48 hours after giveaway ends.
HOW TO ENTER
- Leave a comment below letting us know what you love more than new yarn or at least what your favorite caffeinated beverage is. Don’t forget to include your email or Ravelry ID in the comment or else you’ll be disqualified!
- Bonus Entries: Tweet, Facebook, or Pin this post. Then, come back and leave an additional comment for each place you’ve shared.
Tweet: Can’t wait to get my hands on #blueskyalpacas new Extra Yarn! Enter to win with @DoctorLlama @jac_attacking: http://wp.me/p30KHy-Ku
::: The Giveaway is now closed! You can find the winner here, along with a blocking tutorial.::
A huge thank you to Blue Sky Alpacas for inviting us to be a part of the EXTRA Yarn Blog Tour! You can find the rest of the tour stops below:
The third thing is between me and my God.